Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson add up to One Direction and they’ve been the biggest celebrity sensation of the past 12 months. It’s not just the pop records that have catapulted them to public attention: there’s the third nipple (Harry) the illicit cigarette smoking (Zayn) having on-off relationships with Hollister model Eleanor Calder (Louis) and so on, but their fashion sense has also been a big feature of their success.
So if you want to dress like One Direction, the trick is to try and pick just one, on which to model yourself.
1. Zayn is the most snappy, and most easily parodied, dresser of the group: black and white clothing such as varsity jackets, black leather jackets, plain T-shirts (black or white) and glossy hair gel are all part of his trademark look. Go for trainers, especially Converse if you’re aiming for the Zayn vibe.
2. Harry has the funky oldie look down pat, combining grunge with fogey, go for button down shirts with cords, topped with a beanie and tousled hair, alternatively a tweed jacket with a heather sweatshirt underneath, worn over jeans with ankle boots will do the trick.
3. Niall’s the cardigan-wearing member of the group and is often seen sporting his favourite garment over a long-sleeved T-shirt and relaxed fit jeans.
4. Liam is a classic casual dresser, ringer T-shirts and jeans, hoodies and chinos, he doesn’t stray from the tried and tested recipes of simple, comfortable clothing.
5. Louis is the polo-shirt wearing member of the group, liable to be seen in bright or pastel shirts, along with coloured jeans and he also has a preference for striped T-shirts and, worryingly, braces!