2013 July 1
- Shorts – high waisted shorts and even skorts (skirt shorts) for women but low slung knee length shorts for guys. Tanned legs are a big deal this year.
- African prints – a sudden late arrival, based quite possibly on respect for Mandiba in his last days, tribal prints have become an instant hit on the muddy fields this year.
- Blazers – it’s a Gatsby thing. Worn over T-shirts with those long shorts by guys, and worn with dresses or polo-shirts and tennis shoes by gals (who are also putting daisies in their hair, natch!)
- Stripes – some of those blazers are striped, some of the shorts are striped, pretty well everything is striped, especially T-shirts!
- Plaits – seen more in the USA than here, but plaited hair (with daisies) is a big deal. If you can’t hack that look, try a white or yellow top, worn with a daisy chain hairband (either make it from real daisies or buy cheap silk flowers from a pound shop and staple them to a hairband).
- Wings – unless they actually work and can lift you off the ground. Fairy wings are naff. End of.
- Boots – legs are in evidence, including ankles and they need to be tanned, that means the ugg boot and cowboy boot of previous years are not working with this year’s looks.
- Leggings – as above – you can’t display tanned pins if they’re wrapped in lycra!
- Jeans – just not popular this year. Aim for chinos or shorts for guys, women are wearing high waisted shorts with vintage belt and African print long dresses.